THE DREAM DECADE



For TEACHERS.... 

Dedicated to all my STUDENTS...over these ten years...



The first few weeks of November 2009...I was at home...after completing my B. Ed course and awaiting the results. Who would recruit in the middle of the year, right? So I waited. One of my professors from Mar Thoma College, Thiruvalla asked me to help him edit his thesis...so I started going to his department every day, sat at his computer and edited all day long- minus the lunch breaks I went to my nearby home. Soon enough my results came and I started searching for a job. My dream was always and always to get a job in my Alma Mater- Mar Thoma Residential School. But unfortunately they had no vacancies at that time. So, I scanned every Classifieds page and Wanted Advertisement in the newspaper. Somehow, I got the news that a Spoken English teacher was needed at the Manjooran's Academy for their School-based Speak Perfect Course. I went for the interview in Kottayam with my dad...and got selected. My first job ever. 

The months were alright as I was placed in a CBSE school close enough and had a partner to share the burden also. We were but seen as substitution teachers only as we were not staff of that school. As the new academic year (2010-2011) began, I soon understood I was not made to be a Spoken English teacher and started getting depressed when they told me to go to two different schools every week. The travel was okay, but I was not enjoying it at all. I always felt better when I go back to my school and so towards the end of June itself I went one day to visit my beloved teachers there. 


MY FIRST BATCH- ISC 2012 @ MTRS

That visit changed my life. I heard a very unexpected news- our dear Sudha Miss was planning to shift to Bangalore and so a vacancy was coming up soon in MTRS. I didn't know if I should be happy or sad, but I knew I just had to jump for the chance....there was no second thoughts. My interview at my Alma Mater was on a Saturday- 10th July and I was told to join on 12th, Monday. I would never forget these dates ever....because it led to the best two years of my life- being a teacher as I had dreamt of- in MTRS. As my first batch passed out, I said goodbye to that chapter. Later on, life took me to Kolkata, Satna and now Chennai- to be a teacher and motivator to the next generations- as per His will. 

As a teacher, I have seen all types of characters in classrooms. The shy types, the hyperactive types; the studious and the backbenchers. I have been to classes of just 4 students and even 50. Everywhere you go, the basic nature of kids are the same. Maybe their exposure to technology and social media over the last ten years varies, but inside, they are all kids. I have mostly taught the teenage lot, so I have seen those who get moulded into adults fast or smoothly and others who take their time. 


Our first ICSE Batch in Kolkata St. Thomas Mar Thoma School, Jagaddal- Year 2017

As you enter a class for the first time, there will be someone who keeps trying to get your attention; then there is someone who keeps chatting behind (which is much easier nowadays with the masks on!); some might be observing and even scoring you for each word you say. That first class if you can survive, then your year is secure. Students these days can sense whether you are able enough and well-read. They have much more exposure than we ever had at their age, so much that if we do not up our game, if we don't even pronounce words correctly, kids won't even respect you. 

When it comes to Literature, there might be voracious readers in your class, that always have their nose in a book. They must have read more books and can criticize your chapter much better than you- if you do not come prepared. The Science and Math geeks just cannot tolerate teachers who do not explain the concepts well. Those kids who love Social Science just long for teachers who make those classes lively and interesting-otherwise they just might doze off. Grammar classes- well, we just have to be ready to know the explanations if they bring a doubt in their answer, right? 


Students in today's classes are not that different than they were 10 or 20 years ago. 20 years ago, I remember, in my batch we had characters of all kinds- the overachievers, the humble and meek, the loud and naughty, the ones who just bunked classes for each program-by just even accompanying a captain around, the ones that sat in those back benches and just commented on every class and teacher, others who came every day and did their work on time or those who came every day and never did work on time, kids who loved singing or playing paper ball cricket in the class, students who love to be 'outstanding', kids who go around and taste everyone's lunches, students who just keep following you for marks, to get the direct updates or just to butter up, or those who exited the classroom as soon as a teacher leaves after a period to visit his/her friend in a next-door class. We, as students, did that; my first batch in MTRS did that; and even now, my kids at The Schram Academy do that. Past, Present and Future. No doubts- their basic behaviour is the same- whether in school or college. 

Even though I portray kids to have similar temperament, the world they face is quite different. Their challenges, life situation, exposure, temptations, likes and dislikes are not the same as we had. Many have life situations beyond our wildest imaginations. Either growing up in a toxic environment or being exposed to drugs and alcohol at an early age, prioritising worldly affairs more than their studies, etc. We teachers just have to keep upgrading ourselves according to the times. We have to understand them more. It is good if we know what music the kids love, what movies they watch and what games they play; whether they have a stable family or if someone at home is sick. We have to understand them more and tell examples from what they can relate to. The world has changed drastically in 20 years, then shouldn't our illustrations change too? But I do admit, this should never be at the expense of ignoring moral values and ethics as a teacher. 

If you are a teacher that is able to convey a life message through your subject and win the hearts of the students, then students will remember you and your name forever. If you can open vistas of imagination and hone their skills, you are a teacher with a difference. If you are known as just 'Math Ma'am' or 'Science Ma'am' then you have to think twice before entering the class next time. Don't just be a teacher, be a good teacher with the magical touch; be a performer and a joker; be a counsellor and a friend; be a life-saver and a life-changer; be an inspiration and a solution.  



One decade of teaching has passed by for me. Wonder how long more God intends me to keep going!! Anything to keep knowledge, wisdom and good morals afloat!!  

Happy Teachers' Day to all the influencers out there! A BIG thanks to all my teachers, too!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

O TSA, the Beautiful...

The Bethel on Earth

A NEW STAR IN THE NIGHTSKY