THE FLIPPED TEACHER

 


There is plenty to be learned even from a bad Teacher; what not to do, how not to be. 

- J K Rowling. 





It is truly good to say about the Best Teacher you had in school or to remember the Cool Professor from College, while we do usually avoid mentioning those TEACHERS who were a terror or morally degrading. A Teacher is rarely portrayed as a psychopath or a demon 😈- as kids of all ages usually adore their teachers initially- with the hope that they will learn something worthwhile from them. I'm going to flip out the real image of Teachers- but very mildly, okay?

As we are still going through difficult times, with the pandemic so not over yet and experiencing immense new facilities and trainings from the Education Departments with the NEP in mind, and with the hybrid (online + offline) mode of teaching on the rise - Teachers still have to maintain a composed and mature stature and let the storms keep hitting. ⛈

Whether you were a teacher back in the 18th century or are a teacher now in the 21st, the basic etiquettes and manners a teacher should follow have not changed. There might be very liberal teachers who allow kids to do homework or projects as they like; or very soft-hearted teachers who forgive any mistake done; or teachers who can never keep a class under control (the MUTE button must be so helpful to them these days!); but anyways, the Teacher remains to be the one person who can discipline, inspire and mould- all at the same time. 💟

Over the two decades of my student life (Wow, did I really study so long!?😵) and almost another of my teaching career, I have seen many teacher-characters. Some were very inspiring, some were mediocre and some were just unpardonable. I have written before how my English teachers during my School life touched my very soul to wish to become an English Teacher - but I still do not believe I am half as good as some of them were. I have witnessed many who just read from their Textbooks, while many others have prepared the topic so much they can come emptyhanded to class. No need of texts even to dictate answers!! They would say exactly what we need and made those dragging subjects so full of life and wonder. Sometimes you can try harder in a very difficult subject just by loving the teacher more. I am sure I scored better than I should have in Math and Science (which were my terrors in High School) whenever I got a fascinating teacher along. 

So this formula kind of works the same for all students- you study your favourite subjects well enough whether you like the teacher or not, and you study your difficult subjects better if you like the teacher. Now there's a EUREKA moment!!! 💥


Sometimes though, there are teachers which are of a low moral fibre that you just have such discomfort sitting through those classes. You know, the ones who pull such awful vulgar jokes, or might come drunk to class, or those you know are not a good person outside the classroom. There is no way you can respect such Teachers even though they might know their subject and deliver it well. You might appear to listen to them, and even take down notes, but inside your mind you feel - what a terrible person he or she actually is. As a student you have limitations to go up to that person and speak your mind, right. Oh well, but I have seen some dare to conflict. But I could never, ever. 🙅 Maybe its that underlying Indian soul that sees Teachers equal to God that keeps us from saying things out loud sometimes- you know, fearing the 'Teacher-curse' - the 'Guru Shaap'!! 

Partiality was a word I heard constantly while studying- if not for academics, but at least for programmes Teachers chose those kids who they preferred, or made their favourite the School Captain and stuff, or selected their favoured kids for the Dances or Group Songs, or promoted their own child to come to the forefront before others. I know some of my friends who hate some Teachers because of that- their whole chapter of that year might be dominated by this one bad memory, isn't it? So Teachers are not always perfect - we do have our human flaws. Teachers are not always peace-givers or peace-lovers too. 

I am not giving out names, but I have seen Teachers show a fake face in front of their students while inside their minds they might be plotting - against their colleague, their own brother or niece, or even a student. Imagine, if you do not have a sound character in your personal life, how can you be someone who has chosen the path of enlightening others? How can you be proud about being a good Teacher? You might have all the Best Teacher Awards or appreciations in your professional life, but have you played dirty games to reach that level? Have you hurt anyone on the way? Have you affected a student's life by giving poor grades KNOWINGLY? Have you stepped over your Colleague to get the so called PROMOTION? Have you been a role model in your life outside the Campus you work in or was it all a bag of lies you opened up in front of others? 

I am a firm believer that Teachers have to have a virtuous and righteous life- just like you would expect a priest to be. If you are a Moral Education Teacher, a Sunday School teacher or some kind of a Religious instructor you are expected to have a flawless life even more. I know its not easy to be 100% perfect - but can't we maintain an A + at least? 📈 We already live in a masked world now, so why put on the extra Mask? Can't we just be genuinely kind and thoughtful; helpful and cooperative; caring and nurturing? 

This Pandemic has brought new challenges and hurdles to struggle with in both Schools and Colleges. I am so proud how we teachers- both seniors and juniors - coped with the need of the hour- Online Classes. We learned how to make videos by creating PPTs and recording our voices over it. We know how to upload it in YouTube if needed. We explored the various online tools, websites and games made just for the Teaching-learning experience. 💻We have to work almost exactly like an IT professional now- almost same working hours too!- but we try not to complain- keeping our passion in mind, keeping our children in our thoughts. We go along with whatever the Government or the School decides as best for the smooth functioning of the Classes- whether from the comforts of our home or to risk our lives teaching with face masks on in those sanitised classrooms. Yet there are many who feel fidgeted when the full salary is not paid, or when there are too many online engagements, without understanding the tensions and troubles the Institution and its Management are going through. We just have to do our best, in everything has been assigned to us. 


Whatever said and done, if the Administration of a School or College is also not following the protocols and regulations of being a united body aiming to achieve the vision and motto of the institution, then it will surely affect the productivity of teachers. We need a conducive environment to work our souls out with encouraging and inspiring boss figures on top-Not those who put you down and have rifts among themselves- the effect of which will trickle down to the Kindergarten level or even the maintenance staff who might not feel good in doing their duty with full contentment. I have seen all the difference in a congenial atmosphere where everyone works to the fulfilment of one beautiful goal, than in a rather goofed up, dismantled, scrimmaging for power kind of situation. 💣

Out of the many role model teachers I have in mind- my own Dad stands tall and proud among them. I never knew he was a professor in the beginning. But as I finally understood who he was and why he was so passionate about teaching, I longed to get that same feeling of life satisfaction he has. Even though he had a diversion in between he left all those promising arenas just to come back to his lifeline - TEACHING. He spent long hours preparing, setting up his Botany Labs, skipped thousands of lunches, uplifted and moulded so many youths - in and out of his college and community - and continues to do so. He has proved himself as a blessed School Principal and now an Administrator also post-retirement. I really wondered how he could come down to the level of teaching high school kids after dealing with UG and PG students for decades. All the more amazing is how he magically handles my 5 year old daughter and ignites in her the world of imagination without limits- through their own cute way of Play and Learn games and story time. I can never live up to your level, Dad. But I promise to keep trying. ✨

This Teachers' Day, I can say for sure that being a Teacher is the highest privilege, having one is the best blessing! I have had more than one blessed Teachers - who I look up to and will revere till my last breathe. But this year, I can't help but remember those Teachers who I don't want to be like also and have very less respect. From chalk and board methods to Zoom to Flipped - from teaching to administrative responsibilities and back to teaching- its been quite a journey for me as a teacher and I can't see the finishing line just yet. I hope my students- both previous and present- are able to say that I have been an appealing one, at least in my small way. I do worry, as I point my finger to those who I think have not been a pleasing teacher to be modelled upon, whether anyone can point out a flaw in me too! I really do hope not!

HAPPY TEACHERS' DAY to those who have carried out your duty well and are still making an effort to. 📚 Sometimes the only positive role model a student has in their life is their teacher. We have to remember we deal with both an academic and social curriculum. The heart and mind we 'wear' in our workplace should be the same we carry outside the gates too. It surely is no easy job and no amount of perfection is enough. Choose what type of Teacher you want to be!!


Remya Rachel Thomas






Comments

  1. Replies
    1. A wonderful way of re- membering those who took us to the world of words!
      For sure, those who received the light will pass it on......
      Reward visible/ invisible to us but always good and truth are on the pedestal!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

O TSA, the Beautiful...

The Bethel on Earth

A NEW STAR IN THE NIGHTSKY