THE ONE I LOOK UPTO


The one person I look up to in this world is my Dad- literally- I look UP to him too. Not just because he's taller than me- but he's one constant figure in my life that I have always been able to get inspired from, learn from and absorb from. 

My Dad grew up in the most humble of roots as possible in Kerala- a son in the household of a farmer- who was not much educated past schooling- but that family tried so hard that all the kids got benefitted from education more than the previous generation. Being the fifth in row of the eight children at home, I know my dad had to motivate himself a lot, but at the same time inspired and guided by his elder siblings who were already trying their best to make a mark in this world. Dad walked miles to go to school, and later to college- maybe a story many of our parents or grandparents can tell about their past life. He came back and helped in the fields or at home- yet studied well. 

God must have blessed my dad for being active in his Sunday School and Youth league too, also being part of Christian activities in college, and attending Students' Conferences of the Church, that even before completing his Post Graduation he got the offer to join Mar Thoma College, Thiruvalla as a Professor in his subject- Botany. And in the year 1977 he joined the Department of Botany immediately after he completed studies. At that young age, he became an NCC Cadet Officer and was the Sunday School Headmaster in a church nearby too. 

When the time came for marriage, he chose my mom even without seeing her. He decided to marry her just by listening to the prayer of my grandmother. Can you believe that? Even more surprising is, he saw my mom only the day before the engagement!! But guess they turned out good for each other- 40 years into it- minus the way mom vents out her frustration at times- they seem to be a match made in heaven alright! Dad has always been the parent with the cool temperament- who rages very rarely- but when he did- it was terrifying! 

I had no idea my dad was actually a Professor initially- because he was in a completely different place at the time- working in a Bank- living his American dream. He worked even 3 jobs at at time to make ends meet and to make us have a good life. He played a big role to gather all the Marthomites together to form a congregation there- which is now a very active parish in Seattle. But very soon he knew that was not the life he was supposed to lead and not the place he had to serve- he missed teaching more than anything- and did not want his kids get too influenced by the western culture- so he packed up everything- and shipped his family back to where he belonged. Those 10 years he was away- he grew as a mature wise person- but more as a faith warrior for the Lord with all the different situations he faced. 

My Mom has always been the one constant for him. For all the decades they have been together she has gone through various health issues: back pains, paralysis, disk degeneration, surgeries, headaches and for the past 10 years- cancer. I can't believe how strong my mom is- to face all that and endure all that pain and suffering- but I know she can do that mainly because she has someone by her side along with their conviction that God heals. This is what you call to be with your companion through thick and thin- which I don't know if I would ever have the patience to live through like him, nor have the will power like my mom. I praise God for making them both my strong pillars- and showing me how to live through their lives and testimonies. 

In the year 2009, my dad retired from his college job- after teaching many many batches the science and taxonomy of florae for three decades. He wanted to keep himself busy- so initially joined a popular Entrance Coaching Institute in Pala, which was like 50 kilometres away from home. Very soon he got another offer to become the Principal of Mar Thoma Senior Secondary School in Kozhencherry. He did his best for two years, touching the lives of many students there and getting used to the CBSE Curriculum and system too. 

In the year 2012, the school that me and my brother studied, Mar Thoma Residential School, Thiruvalla decided to branch out and begin a CBSE school they had been planning on for years. The Governing Board needed someone to pioneer their dream- and they found the apt person- Prof. Thomas Mathew. Dad was happy to work closer to home- initially in the same campus as his kids studied. Over the first few years, along with building up this small school as the Principal, he overlooked the building constructions for this branch going on in Kaviyoor, making sure the dimensions and ambience was done properly. The school shifted to its completely new campus in 2014 and since then has been flourishing there. The strength of the school increased consistently over the years and they tried to maintain the name and fame along with its big sister. Mar Thoma Central School is now a fully developed school- with the most beautiful natural landscape around and the best facilities for education. 


After a few years, Dad became the Director of the school, when the school got a very talented and prolific successor as Principal. He still continued to uplift the school- taking it through its affiliation- upgradation-beautification-and promotion. Now the school is ready to sail on its own- waiting for its first Class 11 batch -and so its time for its founding captain to step down. 

Daddy has always been an inspiring person- when its comes to his teaching career or his faith journey. He has skipped umpteen number of meals for the sake of his students or the institutions he has worked for. He has travelled miles and waited hours for the development of his workplace. He has dealt with thousands of students- of different age groups, over these decades. He drops them home if their parent has not come or takes sick kids to the hospital and stays with them for hours. He instils in them the passion to learn, the urge to improve and the need to prove your mettle in this world. He knows exactly which analogy or story can make your day or motivate you. Even if you blabber lies about him or do something to tarnish his reputation, he will still smile at you and talk as if nothing has happened. If you try to drag him down, he knows that revenge belongs to the Lord. 

A poem written by an MTCS student - dedicated to her favourite teacher- my Dad


I can't enumerate how many kids and youths Dad has influenced- even through his Sunday School classes in church, involvement with CSSM and Scripture Union, Mar Thoma Students' Conferences and so on. He has brought so many souls to the right path and keeps doing so. He has not studied Counselling- but there is no better Career guide or Counsellor than him. I know very well that I am nowhere near his magnanimous and obliging personality- which I have seen even in his personal space as a son, a brother, a father, a grandfather and an in-law - to many- always courteous and chivalrous, understanding and thoughtful. My mom might say he tends to forget things or misses out to buy items from the shopping list- but that's just a typical 'male' default, right!! 

I remember how much Dad has encouraged me and my brother over the years till date- even though we never took his subject or anything near Science. He just wanted us to do our best-study what we love better- and become what we wanted to in life. During my Post Graduation, when I decided to do my Thesis on the Harry Potter series-he bought all seven novels of the series for me that very weekend! When I got a University rank later that year, he himself ordered a beautiful glass memento for me even before I got acknowledged from my college. Daddy always senses when we kids feel down too, even if we are miles away-he knows exactly when to call us and give us that pep talk we need. He is even the most favourite adult in the world for my daughter- who enjoys his imaginative instant stories, songs and jokes-her Appacha is just the best! 

All I want to say Dad, is that you are our inspiration too- the one man we look up to- and our seen God on earth. You have sailed through the roughest seas of hard work, flown miles of tolerance, ran across the most difficult borders for those you love and for what you set your mind for. As life leads you from one chapter to the next, we are always proud of what you have achieved and the way you incentivize those around you. Keep spreading the love of God and your love for education- and we will follow your footsteps always. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

O TSA, the Beautiful...

The Bethel on Earth

A NEW STAR IN THE NIGHTSKY