O TSA, the Beautiful...



The Schram Academy has become one with my very breath and being for the past 3 years. Ever since I joined in June 2021, I have been in awe of the school. More than a school, it is a haven to mould and mentor future global citizens with confidence and pride. Every year has been equal to a textbook each for me- about administration, team work, teaching strategies, and what not. 

TSA gave me this huge opportunity in the midst of the uncertain times during May 2021- with the pandemic still raging out there. I had sent out emails to around 20 schools in a 10 kilometer radius from our parsonage in the Bethel Mar Thoma Church campus, where we got transferred to that month. One and only one school responded to my application and I attended two interviews online here before getting this job. While joining itself I told very clearly that I would most probably be in Chennai for three years only- now those three years passed by in a jiffy- and it is time for me to leave this school that has become so close to my heart. 

Every place I have lived has become a part of my existence- a part of my personality. Chennai has also won my heart- the people of Chennai as well. My experiences at our church- Bethel Mar Thoma Church, Padi- need a completely different blog altogether- as it was the most warm and fulfilling three years in our ministry. So I have to focus only on the other aspects for now...especially my TSA.  

Having been a teacher of the teen lot for my whole career, I could see how much these kids were similar to the teen me, even though the challenges of the 21st century are different. They still have issues with subjects, with teachers, with classmates, juniors or seniors and with parents. Teen problems will always be teen problems, right? We just have to let them be. They love teachers who go with their vibe and despise those who hinder their friendships or freedom. They want to enjoy life to the max, have fun in school and worry about the future later- just like we were! I have tried my best to give each student his or her own space to improve and grow in wisdom- but at the same time, I do know there were some who I could not bring up to the shore just yet. As the time has come to leave, I have to admit that I will surely miss my kiddos, even the most annoying and troublesome ones!! What's a class without someone to disturb it, right?? 

TSA has also given me chances to improve professionally- providing so many hours of training and sessions by different resource people from all over the country. That is surely an exposure I will always be thankful for. TSA identified the talents in me- and brought it out - surprising even myself. After such a long gap, I was able to compere for many events, sing with our Staff Choir for many occasions and also be part of the Editorial Board- parts of my very strong memories from my two years of teaching in my Alma Mater MTRS more than a decade ago, being repeated here once again. But it was here that I first participated in a Debate, a Cookery Competition, edited videos and audios for the online programmes, organized a Book Week, wrote almost a whole Musical for the Annual Day and even composed a song for it. I do feel I have given my best back to the school that gave me a chance to extend my teaching experience by three years. I might have been outspoken or critical at times, but it was only for the benefit of my students or the school, never for my own. 

As I leave Chennai soon, I take back the small and big lessons I learned about administration from the three different principals we had these three years- which can be considered as a flaw for the school- but I feel it was meant for me. I could witness three totally different styles and personalities. Having been in that same position for six years back in Kolkata, the way I related to them varied. I could sometimes find faults and disagree, sometimes think alike, yet sometimes feel admiration too. I am not revealing who was my favourite one at all- because no human is perfect in this life- everyone has room for improvement- we just have to accept that fact and move on. Whatsoever, I am grateful for all the support received from them and the management these past three years. 


It is 3 years ago, during the lockdown itself, while we were having online sessions still in 2021 that I relearned driving also. I knew that once school began to function back to normal, I could not expect my husband to drop me and pick me up every day- and I did not want to depend on him for that too. Around 13 years after getting my driver's license, it was that year I mustered up the courage to finally drive. I guess the experience of driving through the highways and byways of Chennai can surely help me to drive anywhere I want now- something that my Mom always kept encouraging me to achieve for years before that! Driving up and down every day I had developed certain habits too- in the mornings, I would listen to any Christian CD all the way to school- and in the evenings, I would listen to the songs on 'Drive with Erica' on 94.3 FM Radio- and coincidentally this week I hear on one such evening rides that it's Erica's last week on the station too!! More than this, to even think I drove around 10,000 kilometers in these three years...!!! Did I really do that??!!

TSA also gave me the chance to be a class teacher for the first time. The last two years I was the class teacher of XI C- two completely different classes in all ways- though both batches had students who selected the Computer-Math stream. But is it a coincidence that both years I was the class teacher of a Class which had been a part of my past too-the XI C part- minus the fact that XI C was a Commerce class in my school! Anyways, I tried to be a good mentor to both batches and encouraged them in all ways possible. 

I never felt much difference being a teacher in Tamil Nadu compared to the other states I worked in. I felt quite welcomed- and observed also- which is natural for a newbie in any situation. I had to focus on getting used to the CBSE syllabus and system here initially for me to even notice that though. Faculty of all schools all over India have common characteristics. That year itself I found the teachers very efficient and dedicated, yet the occasional 'escapist' ones are there in between. But the one thing toxic about schools these days is the unproportionate ratio of men and women employees in schools, creating unwanted politics inside. The more women you have, the more professional and personal level jealousy and gossips crop up from each corner. Secrets can never be secrets in a place full of women- even if someone sneezes in the third floor, the news spreads all over in a minute tops. But again, women can be the most trustworthy friends as well- you just have to find the right ones! And I was blessed to have made many friends from all across- and I hope I had no enemies on the way!! 

For me, these three years have brought me some beautiful friendships that I do whole heartedly wish to keep till my last breath. My colleagues have become like my family- a family for me in Chennai. And now, I can't help but mention some of those- precisely three friends- for the three years I spent here- I just hope the others won't feel bad!! 


My 'next door neighbour' for all these years was Basanti Ma'am- very experienced teacher- wife of an Air Force officer-and owner of the most innocent heart. She has kept my love for Hindi alive-giving me a chance to practice my 'tooti phooti' spoken Hindi every day-never laughing at my blunders also. I do have to mention she is the most patient and caring daughter in law I have ever seen- and the best home cook!! She has such high hopes and dreams for her family and her sons- I feel myself as a nobody in front of her diligence and hard work- both at home and school. Aapko bahut miss karungi, Ma'am!! 

Prabha Ma'am- my midnight caller-a bond that began over those online compering duties we got back in 2021. She has been a constant pillar of inspiration and support for me- which I hope worked both ways, too!! She was the Director who made my Musical materialise this year for our Annual Day!! I am thankful to God that being her son's class teacher one year never made a difference in that friendship. Dear Ma'am, you have such a charm and aura around you- never let anyone dim that!! God has blessed you with so many talents and the skill to organise- use them for His glory alone!! 


Now I have to tell about the constant in my life for the past three years- maybe the name my family has heard more than any other- Sharon. She was my guide and I was hers- whether it comes to school matters or even our faith journey. She was one person who knew when I needed a shoulder to lean on- not literally- because she would have fallen over if I actually did that!! But really- she was there for me-especially in my most difficult times this year- most of all. She was that 'friend indeed' for me here at TSA. If there is anyone that both me and Daphne would miss together, it's you, Sharon. I know God has a plan for you- something big is waiting for you- and very soon it will be revealed to you!! I'll wait to hear from you on the other side of the world!! Now wipe those tears, okay! ;)

If I start naming students now, this blog won't end here- and if I name even one of them I know it might create a riot!! My 9EF, 10DE of the mostly online 2021-22, 10 ABC & 11CD of 2022-23 and 10DE, 11CD & 12DE of this year will always be part of my memories. The brainys and the nerdys, the clowns and the mutes, the beauty queens and the cool dudes- each one of you are precious and special. I have had the privilege to train and mould many with those anchoring, singing and editorial duties over the years- timeless memories made with them too. Dear students- give respect and gain respect- and always aim for the best!! Waiting to see how the future unfolds spectacularly for each of you!! 

It is time to say goodbye now. Do I have any regrets? A few, maybe. But whatever mistakes I have said or done, I will never regret accepting the job offer to this school three years ago. I am forever grateful to God for leading my paths directly to this place. I do know I have tried so much to spread the passion I have for my subject to my students- I have tried maximum to inspire and influence- I have tried my best to be a good friend and guide, yet firm in my instructions. I just hope even one soul was touched by me in these three years- so my time here sure would prove as fruitful. 

TSA- you have been my second home in Chennai- and now one of my favourite schools. I have only good wishes and prayers for you as I leave. I hope the Almighty helps you keep striving for Excellence in Education and continue to be a brilliant beacon in this dark world. I doubt whether life will bring me back as a teacher here again, yet for a moment I wish....

Toodles, TSA. Hasta la Vista. 




- Remya Rachel Thomas

Last working day at TSA: 28th March, 2024. 

Comments

  1. It's been an absolute pleasure working with you dear. Thank you for the prayers and wishes. You are a wonderful human being Remu. Congrats and best wishes for your new position dear. Hugs and love for Daphne Girl

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Bethel on Earth

A NEW STAR IN THE NIGHTSKY