A PHENOMENON CALLED 'CHANGE'



Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by discomforts. - Arnold Bennett

Being married to a priest who gets transferred to any point on the Map and at anytime, Change is not new to me as we have reached our fourth place in nine years. Over one's lifetime, you meet so many people- some inspire you and leave a mark- some are forgotten into those faded shadows of life. I have been in Chennai for just about 11 months now- and I do have someone I looked upto for all those months- the Principal of The Schram Academy, Maduravoyal, Chennai - the School where I work now. 

During my initial interview itself, I could sense the gravity of her personality- her professionalism and expertise- her wide knowledge in the field of education. Though the first encounter was online- the depth of her commitment was evident. I logged out of that meeting thinking that I must have made a fool out of myself- having been overconfident about my previous teaching experiences and skills. I understood that I might not be that much of an experienced teacher after all. The days to come proved that only more, and kept my eyes widening with wonder at this educator's vistas for the future and what she expected from her teachers. 

You have no idea how many sessions we had for our Orientation Programme in May- I must have shared it with all my teacher-friends the day I got the mail- as I have never seen such an elaborate and in depth series of workshops and webinars for Teachers before the start of the year. I seriously heard many of those phrases like Bloom's Taxonomy and the four pillars of UNESCO after around 12 years (since my B.Ed days!!) We had sessions on 21st Centruy Skills, Gamification of Education, Art Integrated Learning, Competency Based Learning and what not. All relevant topics- needed for the Teachers of the Pandemic Period- and taken by eminent professionals only. All credit goes to the Principal who plans and arranges for such stages to open. 

The online mode continued- but I should say there was hardly a dull moment- for us teachers and for the students. This school made sure every activity on the calendar happened in a befitting manner- giving maximum participation to all. Principals usually do not attend rehearsals if the charge to conduct the programmes is given to other staff. But she would be there- however late in the evening also it was- giving all fruitful suggestions and guidance so as to make the event as perfect as possible. 

I have to say I was never good at Public speaking, let alone Debating. I have trained kids for both, but personally I have always dodged from those arenas in life, never being confident to even shake a leg at it. It was always singing or writing or to recall the extreme level, maybe quizzing by the time I reached College. I think my fear to speak from the stage has decreased over the years of being a teacher and a priest's wife, but debating was something I would never have tried on my own. It so happened that the English Teachers were given the challenge to DEBATE for our Teachers' Day Programme- and that too, LIVE. Principal's Orders- so it just had to culminate into reality. I should give all credit to her, even just for making us do it- for making me do it and finding that talent in me- something I never knew I could do. 

I remember my days in Mar Thoma Residential School as a teacher- one of my first jobs- fresh out of college- teaching in my own Alma Mater-with teachers who have taught me or my brother as my colleagues. I was trained very well by the best for Compering programmes- partnering with our immaculate English anchor-teachers for many programmes behind the stage. That came into handy here at TSA-being given programme after programme- to compere - which led to many new friendships during the time of the task. Again, thanks to Madam for all those opportunities over the year. More chances to improve and learn. 

We had level-wise staff meetings almost every Friday- something I have never seen elsewhere- but was surely helpful to be kept in the loop and get to know each and every update from CBSE or about the School activities, suggestions for our classes, etc. I felt this as so helpful, especially being my first time in a CBSE School and meeting those who I work with even though in the online mode for the first several months of the year. The advices from our School head and the way she was prepared for each meeting was surely valuable and admirable. 

I searched my mail today and I have around 307 mails received till date from the 26th of May, 2021 onwards, from the official mail id of the School Principal- TSA MV. That shows how much of effort and time has been spent just for communication and documentation, inspite of the weekly staff meetings. She always used to send us motivational thoughts and videos; most of them, originally made by her too and posted on her own YouTube Channel. She introduced us to all so many platforms for teachers- those Subject-based Teacher organisations, Teacher Awards, CBSE and DIKSHA Courses and so on. A triple Post-Graduate, she is a qualified pianist too. 




I have seen her skills not only in leading the school, but even in the minute details of sending out an invite or printing a question paper. She has a keen sense for music- and her selection of songs were always the best choice. She used to acknowledge each time I sent in wordings for a video invite for school programs. She brought in formality and professionalism each step of the way. She showed how to put God first and to always be humble. She put in a good word for all our efforts after each and every program, and also pointed out where we could better upon next time. She supported and encouraged me to complete a Post Graduate Diploma I had kept pending from before the pandemic began, allowing me to appear for the exams. Though from the science background, she has such an admiration and taste for words- even her speeches and articles are brilliant. A true idealist, who herself shows the model first. She always treated her staff with respect- whether they worked in the office or laboratories, sweeped the classes or cleaned the bathrooms. She would also join in group activities- as in once we had games for Teachers as part of the Pongal Celebration- and she tried her luck in 'Uriyadi' (breaking the pot game)! Though her smiles were limited at times, she has a heart of gold. She was ready for anything- as long as it was for the betterment of the children- she kept drilling us with that one incentive too -'To children I give my heart' as she would say. 

A Principal is always the paramount of all the staff- teaching and non-teaching; the face of the institution; the connector between the management and the parents/staff; the motivator for all the students from Kindergarten to Grade 12; the one who brings in discipline, order and system; the eye and brain behind each and every day of a school life; the person behind and in front of the curtain who runs the show. There is not many other posts in this world that has such a demand of multitasking and regulating and caring and moulding- all at the same time. I have seen many, many Principals over my student life and career- but this one surely stands out as someone I can truly aspire to be- sometime along the way. Oh, we all had our murmuring moments when given extra tasks or deadlines- as in every institution- and there might be several who disagree with me completely- but has there been any President, Prime Minister or Chief Minister that the whole population equally approved of, 24x7, let alone a married couple with zero disputes?

There is nothing wrong with change, if it is in the right direction. - Winston Churchill

I have known her not even for a year, but from my colleagues I know how she plied her way to bring TSA to its present status, order and grandeur. It was not easy, just like all transitions prove to be. We humans always love to be on the safe mode, not agreeing to changes all of a sudden- but all great changes are preceded by chaos, right? We don't like changes sometimes, and want things to continue as it is. But sometimes life brings in new events, takes a different turn- and we just have to constantly readjust to our surroundings. Last year, this time I had no idea we would be transferred to Chennai- but it happened- maybe to be a part of this grand institution, to enjoy a different side of the country, to understand different system of schooling, or maybe to meet this Principal or my colleagues, to touch some souls on the way or maybe to improve wherever I can. I just know that from the time I joined TSA, I knew this person was going to reach my blog one day, but never thought it would be so soon. 

Never have I had to bid farewell to a Principal in my career, mostly being on the receiving end so far. But now I know what my colleagues felt in Kolkata or in Satna- as the future looked uncertain and dark as you try to look ahead - not knowing who's coming next- and what will be in store. I know God has been good in all my previous places, and will be so in the future as well. We can't change the direction of the wind for sure, but we can adjust our sails so to reach our destination. It's just a bend in the road, not the end. 11th March, 2022 was her last day as Principal of TSA- a day when I got to see her real worth- and how her absence will impact the School- Teachers  reminiscing, telling how they have all been touched by her personally, wishing her the best, crying, taking photos as keepsakes- but what moved me the most is that even the bus drivers and maintenance staff waited to meet her one last time in the evening- gloomy and teary-eyed- just to say a Nandri. That shows who she was-she had the humane touch in all she did - which obviously beats everything else in this care-less world. 




I chose this title- in honour of her- Ms. Stella Pauline Punitha- as it is the title of one of her published articles in 'The Progressive Teacher' Magazine; (I hope she'll forgive me for this!) for the CHANGE she brought in TSA, for the CHANGE she brought in the lives of many students and staff; for the CHANGE she brought in me- to aim for the stars and not to think that what you already are is ever enough- there are miles to go before we all sleep- there are many more hurdles to cross- there are many more hearts to touch; and for the CHANGE that is one constant in all of our lives. Life is all about changing and adapting; living and let living; falling down and picking ourselves up; wiping tears of sadness or of joy. It truly is a marvel no one can fathom. 

The stars in the sky shine bright
Whether the clouds come and hide them...
The Stellar structure stays in place
To brighten the world of darkness...
You helped us little stars
To grow in your reflection...
So as to spread the light to
The young minds and hearts we deal with....

THANK YOU STELLA MADAM...Thank you for everything!



With regards, 
Remya Rachel Thomas








Comments

  1. Thank you Remya for nicely expressing the wonderful qualities of Principal Ms. Stella punitha. She has truly touched the lives of teachers for the better as well as the lives of many students and parents. My prayer is that Ms. Stella Punitha will continue to touch lives as she has done at The Schram Academy. God Bless you ma'am.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

O TSA, the Beautiful...

The Bethel on Earth

A NEW STAR IN THE NIGHTSKY