An Ode to my Kiddos

~Of the past and the present~ 



I have a lot of characters
Seated in my classes- 
And everyday as I see them 
I feel the urge to write
Something about them. 

So here I am with these typed verses
To highlight the young souls 
I meet day after day... 
And maybe also wish them 
A Happy Children's Day! 

Oh ya, I know they're not 'children' anymore 
As I teach the Teens of The Schram Academy
But still they'll be kids to us educators.
They do seem to be just like we were- 
Back in the day... We just didn't have 
So many gadgets and headsets to block off 
The sounds around us anyway. 

Some of them are so cool- 
They know what they want 
With their life already 
Have no nonsense 
Say no nonsense
And focus to make their aspirations happen. 

Another sort are the backbenchers 
Who are the universal ones- 
(You'll find them in all institutions)
Always commenting and chatting behind- 
Thinking we teachers don't know 
What they do underground! 

Then we got the bookworms- 
Who I can totally relate to... 
Each book they bring to school 
Makes me wish to go back to those days 
When I could simply read all I could- 
All the time- even between the text in class, 
Or all through the night, 
Or while studying for a test! 

Enough of them- let's come to 
The silent ones 
These are of two types: 
One who just love to listen- 
They can be dreamers 
But must be darn good friends too. 

The other can be silently 
Scheming- or just care less 
To even speak up 
They might burst out one day- 
Or maybe indeed astonish you on the way! 

Sometimes some can be distracted or dreamy
But mostly they just want 
To have a good time- 
Looking outside more than to the front-
I just wish they would not do so 
At the expense of their Studies! 


Let's now visit the born jokers 
The ones who make the class 
Alive and eventful 
With their banters and jests 
Hopefully amusing enough 
To laugh along with them funny bones! 

Now for the sort who love 
To doodle and draw- 
In the Textbook and the desk 
Wherever they lead their paws 
No harm done-but just a doubt- 
Are they really listening to me? 

Kids today and yesterday don't wanna hear
Sermons and instructions 24x7- 
They want their space, their time to chat 
Their way and time to get things done 
And make it happen... 
That's how its been- 
And will always be! 

Whether they like the Chemistry formulas Or Kinematics, 
Python or Trigonometric Functions, 
Media Literacy or Money Matters, 
The foundations of Business or Economics, 
Poetic Devices or nothing fictional, 
We know they put their friendships 
And fun before everything else now 
But will come to our stance sooner or later! 

This Ode is a tribute to them- 
To my kiddos galore 
For being there-and being rare- 
For making my classes jolly darn good... 
Memorable yet scholastic more. 

You take me back to my school days 
And also remind me to be thankful for 
Being able to live my dream too. 
All I want to commend you 
Is to stay grounded and kind
To all around you...
And to give and take respect
wherever you go.

As this unrhyming thing ends
I gotta say, whether you are the smartest 
Or the least bothered, 
I got your back- and your marks- 
While you keep making memories 
And your mark on this globe.


Yours pedagogically,
Remya Rachel Thomas





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

O TSA, the Beautiful...

The Bethel on Earth

A NEW STAR IN THE NIGHTSKY