A New Seraphim Joined the Heavens Today






Music is part and parcel of our Christian life. A church service hardly happens without singing and praising the Lord.  The Church Choir is a replica of the heavenly hosts of angels that sing up there 24x7 glorifying the Almighty. Today, a new Seraphim has joined the team. 

Prof. Jacob Kurian- was a constant enough name in my home- as he was my dad's senior colleague in Mar Thoma College, Thiruvalla, later Principal and also a family friend. My dad even stayed with his mother decades ago, during his bachelor life and early times in the college. His wife, Leelamma Miss was my Biology Teacher in Mar Thoma Residential School too. So Jacob Kurian Sir was someone we met saw frequently being in the same circle. I have listened to choirs he's conducted over the years also back then- in College, his home parish and the Thiruvalla Male Voices and Choral Society. 

I was not that much of a solo singer, but I loved to sing in groups. But it was as a college student that I became more interested in choir singing. My first big exposure was with Portals of Praise- a choir of 150 members from around the state that did concerts for sometime. Regi Chandy sir was this magnanimous prolific person who knew exactly how to conduct a choir so huge which practiced just one day together. But due to the geographical constraints, that choir ceased to exist and I joined my church choir finally. The choir masters in my church were mostly called specially from the nearby CSI churches and so the love for harmony kept increasing over the years. 

Then came a time me and my mom decided to join the Choral Society together- which was, I have to say, supposed to include the most elite choral singers in that whole district almost. We even had people travelling from as far as Kottayam and Mavelikara also in this choir. It was so well known- and still is, even today. So, now all Sunday evenings meant travelling to the town and joining the practice sessions. Therefore, we became the disciples of this great Choir Master - Prof. Jacob Kurian- and got to finally see him up close- in action. 

The expertise and diligence of Jacob Kurian Sir were certainly something to observe and learn from. He was systematic in teaching, observant of every voice in the group, and keen on the slightest distortion. He made sure we learned a song thoroughly- each of the parts- and combined it with such skill. He used to make us follow the notations-mark the repetitions and understand the time signature, sing according to the emotions of the lyrics and follow the crescendos in the notes. I am sure to remember Sir each time I sing O Come, All Ye Faithful and Silent Night for he sure drilled the nuances of its perfect rendering into us. I loved the challenges of those high sopranos and admired how Sir could easily switch from female to male parts anytime. He was surely trained by the best to be able to do so- the Tonic sol-fa method- which I do doubt anyone will know in the coming generations- being so intricate and detailed to catch easily. 

We had programs every Christmas- Choral Society was known to put start to the Advent Programs in Thiruvalla with the Divine Incarnation- and every Easter- full of songs of the whole passion week with the Divine Humiliation. We even had Albums released every year- which surely took hard work and perspiration to make us be thorough with the songs much ahead and record for hours in the studio, where obviously the Choir Master had to put in four times the effort with the separate recordings of Soprano, Alto, Tenor and Bass. My last singing with Choral Society was in December 2012- a week or so after my wedding- after which I left my hometown and have never got the opportunity to join back, though I have been in many church choirs around the country ever since!

I am grateful to God to have placed me in that community to grow up, to learn from the maestros and be able to take that experience to the places where He took me thereafter. I am thankful for all those weeks, months and years of training which I am trying my best to keep- and to keep that love for music burning in me. I am even more grateful to God that I could visit Jacob Kurian Sir just 3 months ago, during the Summer Vacation and spend some quality time together with Leelamma Miss and Sir. 

I have kept the songs I had learned from Choral Society in two files. Hundreds of notations. So many memories. So many lessons from just the seven notes of harmony. Advises and guidelines that lasts a lifetime. And passes on to the next generation. More than the songs, I value the learning experience I got from Sir. Music is my life. Music is part of my ministry. Music exceeds all boundaries. Music has high notes and low notes- but is always beautiful. Just like was the life of our dear Jacob Kurian Sir. 

Today this world lost this Virtuoso. Jacob Kurian Sir has been the expert behind many Song Albums, the whole Staff Notation Book of Hymns of the Mar Thoma Church, many of the activities of DSM & C and other programs and sacraments of our Church. His ear to identify good voices and songs, his skill to organise choirs and musical events are truly a big loss to our Sabha. He was one Choir Master who was gentle, yet a strict disciplinarian at the same time. But this world's loss in this matter is heaven's gain only. Hallelujah to that! 

Go and join the heavenly choir today, Sir. You are remembered with gratitude by thousands of your students and your choral disciples. God surely got a new Seraphim, singing at His throne today- a true expert in His praise and adoration. 






With deep condolences and prayers for the family,

Remya

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

O TSA, the Beautiful...

The Bethel on Earth

A NEW STAR IN THE NIGHTSKY